My corded electric lawn mower stopped working today. I'm pretty sure it is the switch pictured below since I can read voltage before the switch but not after.

My lawn mower is old enough that I can't find replacement parts online (it is a Homelite UT13118).

Is the switch from the lawn mower a more generally available switch such that I might be able to buy one? Would be nice to be able to fix the lawn mower instead of trashing it.

enter image description here

  • It's on ebay for $12. – batsplatsterson Sep 27 '18 at 22:30
  • @batsplatsterson, could you share a link? I searched for various stuff printed on the switch and couldn't get a match. – gaefan Sep 27 '18 at 22:36
  • Sorry, I just saw it's an old listing, item sold. – batsplatsterson Sep 27 '18 at 23:27
  • you can use a light switch is you can't find a match; might work/act funny, but a switch is a switch; mind your current and you're fine, electrically. – dandavis Sep 28 '18 at 16:28
  • @dandavis, great idea, but I'm not that motivated. :) Also, the current lawn mower is set up to shut off when you let go of the handle so a regular switch creates some safety issues as well. – gaefan Sep 29 '18 at 1:38

Yes. Hit up electronic component suppliers like Mouser or Digi-Key. They have a staggering catalog of switches and you are likely to find a match.

Prepare to spend a fair amount of time looking bleary-eyed at the mechanical drawings on data sheets to match the physical size.

It also helps to limit search to items they actually stock. If it says 6 week lead time, nope.

| improve this answer | |
  • It is a staggering catalog, but I wasn't able to find a match – gaefan Sep 29 '18 at 1:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.