I have a Samsung dishwasher (Model: DW80F800UWS/AC). The part holding the gasket in place in the tub is broken and sticking out. Since it was pretty sharp, I pulled it all out.

Turns out that the part is no longer made. Any suggestions on what I can use to fix this?

For reference, the steel inverted 'U' shaped rods that hold the rubber gasket in place. Part number 7 as per this diagram: https://www.appliancepartspros.com/tub-parts-for-samsung-dw80j3020us-aa.html

Edit: Adding the missing part The part that holds the gasket

  • 1
    Perhaps post a photo of the broken part. Another option could be to repair it, rather than replace – mdewit Sep 26 '18 at 8:29
  • 1
    Part #7 appears to be the gasket itself when I look, so a picture of the actual broken part would be most helpful. Basically, you either make one yourself, find a used one that's not broken, or capitulate to the planned obsolescence and buy a new dishwasher. An "inverted U shaped rod" sounds fairly reasonable to make your own, and I'd suggest following that path. – Ecnerwal Sep 26 '18 at 20:32

Use an underwater epoxy putty

  1. If your break is along the straight fitting, find a dowel that fits snugly into the part of the channel to use a a backing to mold the putty around. Note: If the break is on the curved part, its going to be a tough fix and you should consider just getting a new washer or calling someone someone with a pottery background over to help you.

  2. Allow the putty do dry, sand, then add a few coats of a high quality out-door rated painting enamel.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.