I going to run 1/2" EMT conduit on the bottom of a joist. The standard straps I have are too wide to get both nails/screws in. I would prefer to run the conduit down the center of the joist. I wouldn't be able to do this with a single nail/screw strap. I was thinking of using a thick metal tape with holes every inch or so in it. I have some holding up my gas line. Do they still make it? If so, what is it called? Or could I used plastic zip lock ties instead?

  • Some call it plumbers tape or strap, they do make single hole straps that would look better and only take 1 screw, I know looks under the house don't matter but I have had inspections where they wanted listed straps.
    – Ed Beal
    Commented Sep 20, 2018 at 16:42
  • The bottom of a joist is not a particularly well guarded place to run EMT, though it is fairly tough. Could you add a couple slight bends and have it ride along the side of the joist? Commented Sep 20, 2018 at 17:48

4 Answers 4


It is called perforated strapping and it comes in steel or a plastic material. That would be OK to use.


Try using a minerallac strap. I really not much for perforated strapping. See image although it is legal. enter image description here

Hope this helps.


I hate these but they're what you asked for.

EMT Drive Strap

enter image description here

(Home Depot)


What about something like this Conduit Hanger

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.