What is the name of this tool in the picture?

the tool is used to clamp a piece of wood to a furniture

It seems that the tool is used to clamp a piece of wood to a furniture to avoid cracking it when drilling holes? What precisely does it do?

avoid cracking it when drilling holes

1 Answer 1


It's a G-Clamp (or C-Clamp, or F-Clamp, or whatever other kind of clamp works) with a piece of scrap wood.
The clamp clamps the scrap wood to the back of your workpiece so that, when the drill bit pops through, it doesn't break the back of the workpiece but instead drills a neat exit hole.

  • 3
    Some clamps include rubber pads so they won't scratch the wood. If your clamp doesn't have pads like this, you may want to insert some padding (such as a rag folded a few times) between the clamp and the wood.
    – mrog
    Sep 18, 2018 at 20:25
  • 2
    The ones in the picture look more like F-style clamps than C-clamps, though the premise is the same. Average homeowners are more likely to own a C-clamp than an F-style clamp, too.
    – mmathis
    Sep 18, 2018 at 20:36
  • 1
    I have always called them bar clamps , most of mine are on pipe, but I have these smaller ones also.
    – Ed Beal
    Sep 18, 2018 at 20:40
  • Thanks all. You just saved me in the middle of the installation! This is the first time ever I've encountered something from IKEA that is not self-contained with the necessary tools ;-) Sep 18, 2018 at 23:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.