The hole before I messed it up a bit


Had to break my apartment mailbox lock open after the key broke. Been looking and no where seems to have a lock that small. How can I enlarge the current hole?

I am far from a hands on guy, thought I can chip the sides off by moving the drill bit around, but got no where after going at it for half an hour

Please let me know how this is often done and what I need to do it.

  • 2
    Ordinary drill bits cut poorly if at all on the sides and the metal is probably stainless steel which is very hard. I think you should keep looking for a lock that fits the hole you have. – Jim Stewart Sep 17 '18 at 8:36
  • 2
    That is a typical cam lock hole, I wouldn’t enlarge it, I’d find the correct lock. Ask the apartment complex, they may have spares in stock. – Tyson Sep 17 '18 at 13:07
  • A local locksmith would probably have the right one in stock. – Ed Beal Sep 17 '18 at 13:46
  • Thanks for the help.The hole in 13x16mm, having a hard time finding a lock. – Amir Sep 18 '18 at 18:59
  • next time, call a locksmith or landlord instead of damaging property and leaving yourself without a way to secure your mail. – dandavis Sep 18 '18 at 21:29

I would search for "mailbox locks" on your favorite search engine and don't forget to go on line and check at Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware. They have locks that may replace the lock you had to remove. Lastly, look on the box for a name. If you find a name contact them for their recommendation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.