I'll be replacing my electrical panel soon and I noticed that the new breakers and panel have a brown goo on them where they connect to one another. I'm guessing it is lubricant .. similar to what goes in the aluminum wires but I rather make sure than end up with fireworks.

Should I leave the brown goo in place before I plug the breakers to the new panel or should I wipe it out? Thanks.

breaker box

Leave it there. It's a dielectric grease that prevents corrosion on the metal contacts. It probably does also act as a lubricant for easier installation.

  • 1
    The contacts aren't steel, but yes -- it's an antioxidant/dielectric material. – ThreePhaseEel Sep 14 at 1:03

It looks like no-ox-id. This is a special anti oxide lubricating grease.

Your Answer

 
discard

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.