My shower drain is clogged. I want to open the drain cover, but I can't get it off (see picture of drain cover)drain

How should this be opened: prying it off or unscrewing it?



This words on the cover are: "florestone madera ca"

  • 1
    As a general rule for clogged drains, I'd look for a clean out access to the drain line a little further down, probably sticking out the other side of the wall, maybe under a counter top. As a general rule for opening a shower drain, try turning it first before yanking or prying. As a general rule of plumbing, be mentally prepared for 'oh, now I have to replace these bits. '
    – user35614
    Commented Sep 5, 2018 at 2:52
  • 1
    can't quite make out what it says on the cover ..... why did you think that the writing on the cover is not important? .... always include as much info as you can .... please update your question ...... do not add info to comments
    – jsotola
    Commented Sep 5, 2018 at 5:03

4 Answers 4


The lettering on the drain cover leads to a number of similar (but not exactly the same) products all over the 'net. What is consistent about this particular company's line of products is that the words "snap-in" appear frequently.

drain cover

The image above differs from yours in that your "tab" area is much thinner and does not show clearly any tabs. If you are able to shine light into the area of the slots and are able to see tabs, one can expect that it too is a snap-in cover.

Even a rather comprehensive installation document for plumbing a Florestone shower pan includes nothing about the drain cover. This is consistent with one being able to see the removed cover and recognizing that it is a snap-in type. In place, it's not so easy to determine that aspect.

Image courtesy of Decour Glamour web page.

  • 4
    The answer seems to stop a bit short of answering the actual question. If it is a snap-in type, how do you remove it?
    – Moyli
    Commented Sep 5, 2018 at 7:52
  • 2
    @Moyli - Pull it straight out with force. I'd have thought that was fairly obvious personally.
    – AndyT
    Commented Sep 5, 2018 at 8:03
  • 1
    @alephzero a very cool and innovative product by the name of "pliers" might be of use here.
    – Josef
    Commented Sep 5, 2018 at 10:00
  • 3
    @alephzero Needlenose pliers to grip the bit between two of the holes. Alternatively, you can find screws or bolts that are a little larger than the holes, screw them into the holes, and pull on them. If you've only got one, put it in the middle, or else place it closest to a tab, pull to disengage that tab, and move it round to the next one until they're all free. Otherwise, put two in the holes closest to two opposing tabs. The benefit of using two, besides spreading the force so you're less likely to damage the cover, is that it also lets you try twisting it to see if that helps. Commented Sep 5, 2018 at 10:06
  • 2
    @anaximander that last comment might do well as an answer...
    – Tom Bowen
    Commented Sep 5, 2018 at 10:42

If it says "Florestone Madera CA" just put something in the holes, pull, and it pops right up. If you want, you can put two dowels or screw drivers with round shanks in the holes and put another long screw driver parallel with the floor across them, as leverage, and turn the drain to break it loose. Just has hair in drain and slows the water draining out.


I have a cover EXACTLY like yours. Mine just lifted right up. Not sure if there was supposed to be some kind of sealant, but it would not surprise me that the installers "forgot".

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Thanks for the answer; keep 'em coming. And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to contribute here. Commented Jul 30, 2019 at 18:42

Hi It seems like the oblong holes indicates that a special tool is needed to unscrew it, so I would attempt to unscrew it by improvising a tool in those oblong slots. Frank

  • 2
    The oblong holes are where the friction tabs are stamped. They are not particular to the cover's removal. The cover is not "unscrewed" but rather simply lifted straight up with an appropriate tool (small hook-like device) or by prying gently with a small diameter screwdriver or similar.
    – mike65535
    Commented Sep 13, 2018 at 11:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.