My last faucet started to leak, so I just bought a new Moen one. I just about got it installed, but when I tried to hook up the water lines, I have two female connectors that don't seem to like each other.

The faucet I was replacing (also a Moen), had a metal pipe with a male connector. However, the new one has a supply line hose with a female connector at the end. The water line is a pex plastic tube with a female connector at the end.

Do I need some sort of adapter?

  • Are there shutoff valves under the sink? Typically the incoming water lines would connect to a shutoff valve, then the fixture supply lines would connect to the other side of the valve.
    – Tester101
    Commented May 31, 2012 at 16:17
  • That's the problem, I don't have shutoff valves there, there are just rubber tubes (called "pex" according to my plumber uncle) coming out the wall that run all the way down to a manifold in the basement. Commented May 31, 2012 at 16:53
  • 1
    Then instead of using a straight adapter, I'd install a shutoff valve instead. Something like this .
    – Tester101
    Commented May 31, 2012 at 17:05

1 Answer 1


Faucets are usually 3/8, so you would need a 3/8 brass nipple

enter image description here

If not, they sell many different size brass nipples.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.