Inside the cabinetUnderside of the overhangtop-down picture of the edge of the countertopenter image description here

Yesterday morning I placed a burning hot stainless steel frying pan on the countertop in the house I live in. I got distracted by other things and I am pretty sure it stayed there for a while. Upon removal, I discovered a perfectly circular heat stain on the countertop. I don't know what material the countertop is made out of. I included pictures of the stain and the area around it, as well as the edge of the countertop.

Today, I tried scrubbing it with baking soda and water for about 20 minutes but I didn't see any difference.

Any idea on what kind of material this countertop is made out of and/or any ways to remove the stain would be really helpful.

The owner mentioned it's not quartz, granite or marble but didn't say what it was.It looks like it's a plastic cover on wooden material.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

countertop & stain

  • 2
    Hello, and welcome to Stack Exchange. More information, and possibly a picture of the edge of the counter, would help us help you. Aug 27, 2018 at 22:58
  • If you add the URL of the picture, someone will be along to edit it into your post. And, just about anything else you can think of. Aug 28, 2018 at 17:10
  • 1
    Can we have a picture of the edge looking at it edge-on, instead of top-down? Aug 28, 2018 at 22:21
  • Can you also get a (well-lit) picture from the underside of the overhang? And maybe one of the underside from inside a cabinet? Those may help determine what the counter is made of.
    – mmathis
    Aug 29, 2018 at 13:37
  • I have added two more pictures that are hopefully helpful Aug 29, 2018 at 23:43

2 Answers 2


This appears to be a laminate such as Formica, which cannot be repaired from heat damage. Your only option really is to replace the affected portion, either with another piece of Formica or with some kind of insert like a cutting board, trivet, etc.

You might also be able to put a new layer of laminate over top.

This video from This Old House shows some methods for replacing the affected portion.


Looks like Corian, or some composite material like it. Some (like Corian) can be repaired. https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf84004479.tip.html

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.