Two 10 AWG wires for an electric fence were cut by the lawn mowers. I read that electric fences have very low amperage. So a 30 A rating is well above the call of duty: 10-2 type UF-B cable with ground wire (stranded).

That is what's available locally. There is no voltage rating. Although, looking online, I find that similar stranded wires have 1000 VDC (TÜV). Does that mean they're rated only up to 1000 VDC? Or is this just something to do with solar panels?

Edit - This wire is between the energizer and the fence, no man's land.

Aside, why does our electric fence have two wires? To create an open circuit, wouldn't you only need one?

  • Voltage and current are two different (though obviously related) things. Generally speaking, it is the current that determines the required wire size - e.g., 14 AWG for 15 A, 12 AWG for 20 A, etc. I suspect your electric fence uses relatively high voltage but very low current. As far as 1 wire vs. 2, I don't know exactly how an electric fence works, but keep in mind that you don't want to create an open circuit - that wouldn't be very useful. You want to create a complete circuit, which needs 2 wires. Otherwise what you have is likely both at times ineffective and at times deadly. – manassehkatz Aug 22 '18 at 14:32
  • From the last link (agrisellex.co.uk/pages/what-is-electric-fencing), it shows how an open circuit is the whole idea. The circuit is complete when the animal touches the fence; the literal ground completes the circuit. And yes, it is very high voltage (4-7.5kV) and low current (where I can touch it). – adamaero Aug 22 '18 at 14:54
  • stranded wire can handle more voltage than solid, due to better cooling and the skin effect. A wire's volts rating relates to the insulation, amps relates to the conductor. – dandavis Aug 22 '18 at 16:04
  • It's special, but go down to Tractor Supply (or your country's equivalent). Any farm supply in an agricultural area should have that stuff in stock. – Harper Aug 22 '18 at 23:12

No, you'll need the proper electric fence extension wire

The problem with a standard UF or equivalent cable is that the insulation is only rated for 600V, far less than the several thousand volts that an electric fence energizer puts out. As a result, you'll need a specialized electric fence extension wire and matching splices that are rated for such high voltages to replace the damaged wire. Using the wrong stuff will cause the wire insulation to break down and fail, leading to your fence grounding out.


Do you mean the electric fence itself or the supply to the charger? Supply to the charger is plain old 18 ga line ( 120 V and low current). The fence itself is normally single strand aluminum bare wire ( very very high voltage and very low current); usually sold next to the chargers. The aluminum wire is marked 17 ga and it looks like it. I used 12 ga to the ground rod just for mechanical strength. The charger has two output connections , one to the fence and one to a ground rod; I used 10ft of 1/2 copper tubing and jetted it into the ground.

  • No, it is "for an electric fence." It's not the fence itself. A barn (with the energizer) is 175' away from the fence. It's between the energizer and the fence. Again, a lawnmower cut the two 10 gauge wires. – adamaero Aug 22 '18 at 17:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.