Wasn't sure whether to post this on ELU or here, but thought I would have better luck here. Anyway Merriam Webster defines a Stud Bolt as

a bolt with threads on both ends designed to be screwed permanently into a fixed part at one end and to receive a nut on the other.

Is the first part of the definition - screwed permanently into a fixed part - always true for a stud bolt? If so, what do you call the threaded rod that fully penetrates two parts and is attached with a nut on both ends like you would see for piping flanges?

  • 1
    I call it an “all-thread”.
    – Lee Sam
    Aug 20, 2018 at 19:39
  • 6
    I call it "threaded rod". Aug 20, 2018 at 19:54
  • 2
    In common usage, it is often just a "stud"... many people omit "bolt". E.G. the search for items on Amazon: amazon.com/ls1-head-studs/… Aug 21, 2018 at 1:56
  • I also call it all thread.+ threaded rod would be correct also but in the trades it is usually called all thread. Portland bolt states all thread is commonly called threaded rod.
    – Ed Beal
    Aug 21, 2018 at 13:50

3 Answers 3


According to Hardhat Engineer, the correct term to use is stud bolt. While a stud bolt frequently (most often?) is used where one end is screwed permanently into a fixed part, like the dictionary says (think of the stud bolts for a cylinder head), it can also apparently refer to a bolt with a nut on each end as shown below Stud Bolt

I agree that this looks like threaded rod, but I do not think that threaded rod is necessarily designed for the stress encountered in a bolting application.

  • 1
    You can get threaded rod in (metric) grades 8.8, 10.9, and 12.9, same as bolts. It appears you can also get mild steel versions, but I'm not sure on relative availability. Sep 26, 2018 at 12:52

Home Depot calls it Threaded Rod. I agree: https://www.homedepot.com/s/threaded%2520rod?NCNI-5


Search for "hillman group 44948 hanger bolts" to see if this is the item you are looking for. Then go to Lowes or Home Depot to purchase.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.