I recently found my bathroom sink drain pipe had a crack and had to replace it. At all the stores, all the replacement bathroom sink drain pipes that are sold are 1 1/4" diameter. However, underneath my sink the drain pipe trap is 1 1/2" diameter. So I was told by a person at Home Depot to get a reducer gasket which is what I bought. So after installing it, I found that if I fill the sink, then drain it, it's leaking right at the gasket. Am I supposed to put putty or something else around it? Or is there a better gasket I should get? The gasket I got was maybe 3/16" thick and beveled and looks similar to this:

enter image description here


  • 1
    I've used those gaskets before they need to be snug on the pipe coming from the sink the plastic really will not compress and seal as well as a non reducing type. They also make rubber ones but these don't work much better unless snug on the pipe. – Ed Beal Aug 15 '18 at 19:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.