I have this old garage workbench that seems very sturdy

enter image description here

The wood is OK, I could replace the door.

But the surface's corner has cracking like this:

enter image description here

This is done from previous owner. I would like to fix it somehow. What is that thin strip of wood outside? It seems like it's harden by some chemical process (not paint or maybe...).

1 Answer 1


That looks like hardboard, "High density fibreboard" to use its full name.

AKA "Masonite"(tm)

  • 1
    Any suggestions for how to fix it? -)
    – fixer1234
    Aug 12, 2018 at 11:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.