My window is missing a bit of plastic. I would like to replace it, but do not know what it is called to search for a replacement part.

Here is a picture showing a window that is missing the piece

enter image description here

Here is a picture showing a window that isn't missing the piece

enter image description here

The windows are manufactured by Window World.


2 Answers 2


The entire vertical window frame is called the “jamb”. The portion on the jamb that protrudes outward is called the “stop”.

It appears that this window manufacturer has pre-cut a notch (cutout) in the stop and frame in anticipation of installing a connector for screen, etc. to be applied later.

The piece that seems to be missing is the “cover plate” that covers this pre-cut cutout.

  • When you say outward, do you mean inward into the house?
    – StrongBad
    Aug 6, 2018 at 15:53
  • Outward toward the center of the window, horizontally. The stops retain the sashes.
    – isherwood
    Aug 6, 2018 at 16:16
  • Yes, outward means “away” from the jamb or towards the center of the window.
    – Lee Sam
    Aug 6, 2018 at 19:33

As Lee Sam says, the missing piece is a cover plate for a port in the stops. I suspect it's an installation access area for the sash spring assembly.

I'd cut a new one out of heavy vinyl or plastic and use thin double-sided foam tape to fasten it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.