I have a hammer (wooden handle with steel head) that I love (kind of an heirloom) and I like using it for lots of things. Its great for most jobs, but there are some things where I don't want the steel hammer head to make contact with what I am hammering. Instead of going out and buying a separate rubber hammer, I want to create a DIY hammer accessory whereby I slide on a rubber sleeve or cover on to the head. This way, whenever I encounter the kind of tasks that require a rubber hammering end, I can just put the rubber cover on and hammer away.

The trouble is, I'm skeptical as to how feasible this idea is. I haven't seen many rubber products out there that are close to being the right dimensions to fit snugly on my hammer. For example, I found some hammer covers on amazon but they are actually whole rubber head replacements and they interface with a screw threading. I just want a slide on cover.

Then I thought, maybe I can call up a rubber manufacturer and say: "hey uh, want to help a brother out?" but I think that's most likely going to be a difficult course of action because I don't know any one who works in that industry and I have a sinking feeling if I want a custom mold they will need a minimum order (like 1000 pcs or something).

Here is a visual representation of what I'm after:

enter image description here

EDIT My hammer is pretty much like this picture, wooden handle and everything. One difference is that my hammer head is actually a square, 1.25"x1.25" Depth doesn't matter so much, but I'd want the rubber cove to probably be around the .25-.5" range. Sorry for not providing this information earlier; just realized how important it was :(

Question: Is there an economical way I can tackle my thus far hypothetical DIY rubber hammer cover project? Or alternatively, is there a product out there somewhere that could work for my task?

Further Clarifications:

  • rubber cover must slide on snuggly to my hammer
  • ideally, for DIY approach, I'd like it to fit perfectly (tailor made feel) if that's possible
  • budget is $20
  • must work with my heirloom hammer (no buying other rubber hammers as replacement)
  • 1
    The really only feasible answer here is to buy appropriately sized rubber chair leg caps in the appropriate size. Sure they aren’t perfectly flat, but it’s simple and cheap.
    – Tyson
    Aug 4, 2018 at 11:53
  • 2
    I would look for rubber crutch tips - might be about the right size. Aug 4, 2018 at 12:50
  • Carving down a vibration pad or other solid rubber block would probably work. Aug 4, 2018 at 14:37
  • You would possibly get a better focused answer if you were to take a digital caliper and measure the diameter and depth of the hammer head. Then add that information to your question.
    – Michael Karas
    Aug 4, 2018 at 14:39
  • i push a plastic bottle cap (like from juice or soda) onto mine when i don't want to scratch something. If you need a real rubber mallet, you probably want a real rubber mallet (or sand mallet) do get the "thwump factor" correct.
    – dandavis
    Aug 4, 2018 at 19:18

2 Answers 2


A rubber crutch tip could work. They come in different sizes. I bet you can find one that will fit nicely.

enter image description here

  • I agree, and you could use a heat gun to help "mold" the rubber, including smoothing out the ridged end of the tip. Aug 4, 2018 at 18:59
  • If you're going to go this route, i would recommend a black one (butyl rubber, stinky) instead of plastic like the one shown; it will last a lot longer and be far less prone to splitting under force. more bouncy too.
    – dandavis
    Aug 4, 2018 at 19:20

I wouldn't bother. Nothing pliable enough to stretch over and stay on the hammer head is going to survive being used AS a hammer for more than a few whacks. That's especially problematic for a "square" headed hammer, i.e. corners are just going to poke through in no time. For the few times per year I need a rubber hammer, I just went out to the cheap Chinese junk tool store (named Harbor Freight around here) and bought one for something like $2. Either that or just get a square rubber floor protector (for furniture legs) and put it on whatever needs hammering, not on the hammer itself.

Idea 3; you can get a liquid rubbery plastic goop that you use to coat tool handles and coat the head of the hammer every time you want to use it. It would likely only last a few whacks, but if that's all you need it for, peel off the goop when you are done and put it on again next time you need it.

Example: https://plastidip.com/

  • Agree. The plastidip will cost more than a rubber mallet.
    – fixer1234
    Aug 7, 2018 at 8:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.