I just removed an INCREDIBLY old and ugly Hollywood light fixture from my bathroom. The wall now looks like the picture below. I bought a box and a Snap Tite connector. I even got a hold of some grounding screws but then quickly realized (DUH) how am I supposed to ground the actual box? I live in an older home and just wanted to update my lighting fixture. Am I really going to have to call an electrician just to do that?

Please help. I am unsure if I am worrying for nothing or if this is a serious issue.

Thank you all in advance!

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


You'll need a metal old work box with a BX/AC connector and insulating bushing

Your wiring appears to be BX (old style armored cable). While the armor on BX is not up to modern standards as a grounding path, it's better than nothing whatsoever, and should be bonded to in any case. This is done by using an appropriate armored cable connector fitted into a knockout on your new box -- this connector in turn uses a setscrew or spring clamp to retain the cable armor in the connector.

From there, you can ground the light fixture to the box using a grounding pigtail and screw into a 10-32 tapped hole on the back of the box, provided you get the correct box of course. It will need to be a metal box (no plastic here!) with old work mounting means that attach to the existing interior sheathing materials (instead of being attached to a stud).

  • Three phase eel! Thank you!! This is exactly what I wanted to hear :) Jul 31, 2018 at 2:37
  • @MistralKhan-Becerra we say "thank you" around here by upvoting and accepting answers :) (good work with your first question, too -- the clear photo made it an easy win) Jul 31, 2018 at 4:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.