I'm interested in opening the wall between the kitchen and the "Dining Room" in an apartment that I'm renting. Before I pitch this to the landlord, do I need a permit for making that kind of modification in a non load-bearing wall? realistically I would only be cutting through one 2x4 and building a header in for the span.

closed as off-topic by mmathis, Tyson, Daniel Griscom, ThreePhaseEel, The Evil Greebo Jul 31 '18 at 12:11

  • This question does not appear to be about home improvement within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Seems like a location is critically relevant here. – isherwood Jul 30 '18 at 16:09
  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question because permitting questions are off-topic – mmathis Jul 30 '18 at 17:20
  • Question is general enough to be useful, no need to close. – gregmac Jul 30 '18 at 18:39
  • 1
    I would get a permit because it's rented. Because if the job is done illegally, you're not on the hook, the landlord is. Attention to details like this is a powerful sway. Once I made huge points with a landlord when I accidentally broke a $40 custom fixture glass, called him up, "hey, where do you buy those fixtures?" and fixed it on my own. – Harper Jul 30 '18 at 18:43

Assuming you are in the US, you generally don't need a permit for cosmetic changes. Everything else you do. To find out for sure contact your local government building department.

  • 1
    I would say nearly everything else, and what needs to be considered here is any electrical and plumbing in the wall that would need to be moved. As a counter-point, I don't know of any jurisdictions that require permits for low voltage wiring (telephone, cable, network), and I think you're generally okay with minor changes to HVAC as well (eg, moving a vent). – gregmac Jul 30 '18 at 18:37

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.