I have this surround sound system at home that is very old and have these strange sound input sockets that I have never seen before. Does anyone know what kind of input socket this is?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Possibly helpful – isherwood Jul 27 '18 at 15:47
  • 2
    That reminds me of an old DIN Loudspeaker Connector, except that your one has 2 round pins - one on each side, in addition to the flat one. – brhans Jul 27 '18 at 15:58
  • 1
    I would think that those are not the actual inputs, rather the sound level adjustments using a special square tool to prevent unauthorized tampering. Actua inputs are probably in back of under a removable panel – Limo DRIVER Jul 27 '18 at 16:36
  • But if you look at the sockets they seem to have a copper connector or something similar. – João Matos Jul 27 '18 at 17:16
  • 1
    could be a custom connector, i've never seen one like that before, and i've seen a lot of audio connectors... – dandavis Jul 27 '18 at 17:19

They appear to be the 220V inputs (source feeds - Fuente alimentación) for each device; (L and R) as each input looks like it has two connection points. It has a custom connector that I cannot identify. If you can read spanish the manual more information is here: www.kroser-electronica.com/descargas/catalogo2007.pdf

  • 220V?? Most audio inputs are 1V or less, are you sure about that? – Nate S. Aug 16 '19 at 16:09

Looks like the 2-pin DIN connector like others said, and you can insert it with the small pin to the right or left. Or is some custom connector, to find out for sure you would have to open the panel up to look at the pins.

I also found the same hotel sound control thing on another website where someone is looking for a technician to fix it. And his version got 5-pin DIN connectors link: Other website with 5-pin version

Some more info and pinout of DIN connectors: Here

The fastest way to find out what sockets they are, is to open it up and look how many connectors come out from the socket.

I hope this helps.

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Thanks for the answer; keep 'em coming. And, you may want to take our tour so you'll know how best to contribute here. – Daniel Griscom Aug 16 '19 at 18:57

Wikipedia specifically mentions a version of the two pin female din where "Most common is a three-hole female connector with one circular hole on either side of the spade hole, one of them with an aux contact and one without, which provides the option to leave the internal speaker connected by inserting the plug twisted by 180°"

I can't find that specific looking DIN anywhere though.


It took me a while but the connector is called “dot dash” if you literally translate it from Portuguese. I have searched the web for the English name of it, but I was unsuccessful.

These connectors must be at least 20 years old... guess the best solution is to update the entire sound system 😁

  • Thanks for posting your answer; if you think it's the best one for your question, click the checkmark to mark it so. – Daniel Griscom Aug 17 '19 at 19:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.