I bought a house and the home inspector missed this about the spare bathtub: when you turn on the cold water, water leaks out of the stem of the hot water faucet (and vice versa). I figure the o rings need replacement (or maybe packing). I finally got the faucet handles removed (screws were seized) and I see this odd shaped nut. It seems to be attached to the valve--if I try to unscrew it, the water comes on. The plastic chromed shroud prevents me from seeing anything. So, do I simply turn off the water supply, and unscrew this all the way? In other words, will it remove the valve stem? Or will the valve "bottom out" and then I can remove this nut?

It's a three handle tub fixture from Kohler, maybe the original one (house built around 1965). I'm skittish because both bathrooms share the same pipe so if something goes wrong, I lose the ability to shower.

UPDATE: I found the part number of that piece: it's a Kohler 41240-CP Insert Sub-Assembly. Amazon has it (with picture): Kohler 41240. The only difference is that has a washer under the nut (mine lacks it). Someone on Amazon actually asked how to remove it and the answer was to use a faucet puller. Is this true? The hole is a 1/2 inch deeper than the rod on my faucet puller and that flimsy chromed plastic couldn't take much stress. I did manage to find installation instructions for a Kohler Flair 3 handle faucet and the diagrams look like my faucet. I will need to pull that insert off. I'll try to extend my faucet puller with a nail and duct tape. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks for looking.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • The ring against the tub wall should unscrew - it's likely only cosmetic. And the cylinder just behind the "odd" nut maybe also. Can you hold the nut with a wrench and twist off the cylinder and/or ring?
    – mike65535
    Commented Jul 24, 2018 at 12:00
  • Yes, the ring against the tub might unscrew. But, I need to get that cover off first. I posted another picture to show it better. That cover spins freely, so once the nut comes off, it should just slide off. Thanks. Commented Jul 24, 2018 at 20:03

1 Answer 1


I called Kohler support. They told me "it just pulls off". I was disappointed with that--nothing after 5 years "just pulls off".

I ended up tapping the hole. It's just the right size for a 1/4-20 tap. I then used a bolt to pull the inserts off--just screw the bolt in until it hits the valve stem and it pulls it off. I'm enclosing a picture of the inside of that insert so others can see what this is.

  • It's great that you got this fixed and thanks for coming back to tell us about it! Please give yourself a check-mark, too, so others know that there's a working solution. You'd have been hard-pressed to get enough WD-40 in there to work the corrosion & calcium loose - good thinking on threading it.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Aug 13, 2020 at 11:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.