I have a tool that only works by connecting its "plug" to my car cigarette lighter socket.

How can I use this tool at home? Is there an adapter that will let me use it somewhere else?

1 Answer 1


Search for 120V 12V cigarette lighter adapter. If your home electricity is 240V (i.e., most places outside USA/Canada) then look for 240V 12V cigarette lighter adapter. Some adapters will, like laptop chargers and other equipment, handle a range 110V - 240V, 50/60 Hz.

You'll find more of the reverse (to run 120VAC equipment using your car's 12VDC) but there are plenty like this adapter on Amazon. I recommend getting one that is UL listed if possible and make sure it can supply the power (watts) your tools need.

  • I have a feeling rbhat is in the USA. But I could be wrong - and the next person looking for an answer might not be in the USA anyway. I'll edit. Jul 16, 2018 at 13:50
  • If it's used infrequently the portable jump starters with lighter sockets pulls reasonable double duty. Jumps stubborn engines, runs a tire inflator long enough to fill the occasional floaty toy, allows using phone chargers during power outages, etc. Jul 18, 2018 at 3:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.