I'd like to move an outlet that is in a wall between a finished spaced and an unfinished space. Right now my TV is hanging on a wall and connected to an outlet that is too high for my tastes. I'd like to move it down maybe 18-24". I know that I could put in a junction box to extend the wires down, but from what I've read you can't have a junction box buried in a wall. I could put a blank template on the existing outlet, but that'd just be ugly.

Since the current box is in a half finished wall (i.e. it's in a wall with a workshop on one side that's not finished), is there a way that I can extend the power cables and drywall off the old hole?

My guess would be that I could take out the old box and put in a junction box, but instead of the "facing" towards the finished space, I could just put the access panel part toward the unfinished space.

1 Answer 1


That is fine

You can do as you desire -- take the old j-box out and replace it with one facing into the unfinished space. I'd use a 4" square junction box and mount it so the front lip is flush with the edge of the studs -- this way, if you want to finish the unfinished space later, you can simply slap a mud ring on the box in place of the existing cover, then put a new cover on after the drywall's up.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.