There are missing shingles on the roof our garage. How can I determine whether it is better to replace the missing shingles or replace the entire roof?
It is possible to replace individual shingles when some become missing but there are factors to consider before deciding to replace the whole roof covering.
- Percentage of the total number of shingles that are missing.
- What is the age of the current roof covering.
- Type of shingles be they asphalt, wood, clay tile, metal or other type.
- Are shingles a type that are spot glued in place.
- Do other shingles overall look to be in good condition.
- Are spare replacement shingles of the same style/color available.
- Is roofing currently installed over one or more older shingle layers.
- Is replacement cost a factor.
- Would replacement with another shingle type be desired.