I assure you that this is not the beginning of a fastener-related standup routine.

While working out at the gym, I saw a fastener that looks like a metal zip tie, with a screw to tighten it. Two pictures below. This can be useful for me in some of my projects. Any idea what it's called and where I can buy it?

  • I generally say something along the lines of "spiral hose clamp".
    – Hot Licks
    Jul 4, 2018 at 13:10
  • 3
    Damn, I wanted to hear the end of that joke!
    – stib
    Jul 5, 2018 at 13:24
  • Just don't call it "late for dinner"!
    – Paul Price
    Jul 30, 2018 at 0:10

6 Answers 6


This particular type is a band hose clamp, worm screw, stainless steel. In Britain a Jubilee clip.

316 stainless steel worm gear hose clamp Grainger


It's a hose clamp. Any hardware or automotive store carries them in the US.

  • 6
    OP, hose clamp is the right answer, as Google Images verifies. Jul 3, 2018 at 17:26
  • 4
    @user1717828: Google image is not smart enough to store multiple names for the same thing, it just takes the majority i.e. American English. in British English: 'jubilee clip'
    – smci
    Jul 4, 2018 at 23:02
  • 2
    @user1717828 Your link is evidence that it is a correct answer, but nothing to establish that it is the correct answer. Jul 5, 2018 at 18:52

Another common name for this type hose clamp is "gear clamp". They come in a variety of sizes to accommodate various hose diameters.

enter image description here

(Image from PrecisionBrand.com.)

  • 1
    And, lacking a large size, one can link several smaller clamps together to form one large clamp...
    – DJohnM
    Jul 5, 2018 at 4:34

In the US, they are called 'hose clamps', though if you goto an automotive parts store, they will likely call them 'radiator clamps' as that was their primary use in automotive work, fastening the hoses to the radiator.


It's called "abrazadera" in Argentina. It's a valid answer, just for the more you know.

  • 2
    This sure will come in handy if I'm ever in Argentina and need to do a plumbing repair.
    – fixer1234
    Jul 7, 2018 at 3:00
  • 2
    Hello, and welcome to Stack Exchange. Doesn't that just mean "clamp"? I think the OP was looking for something more specific. Jul 7, 2018 at 11:43
  • There are a lot of very different products that go by abrazadera.
    – user87417
    Jul 10, 2018 at 18:08
  • Magical plumbers call it abracadabra.
    – Phil
    Jun 20, 2022 at 16:16

In professional residential environments, I always heard these called a "duct clamp" or "duct cinch." But I always see them labeled (in US Home Depot) as hose clamps, as the other answers have stated. I think the former terms are more like slang

  • I'm guessing that's mostly residential? I don't recall seeing these clamps much in commercial ventilation or electrical systems.
    – JMac
    Jul 5, 2018 at 18:10
  • @JMac correct. I work for a construction company that builds single family homes. The guys I work under call them duct clamps most often. I'll edit to clarify.
    – user87417
    Jul 5, 2018 at 18:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.