I live in the US and my refrigerator is 115 Volt. I'd like to power it directly from the socket with an extension cord, but I've been told that it must be powered via a surge protector or a special power cord. Is this true?
The power cord would have to be short and made of 12AWG wire with ground. I would not go more than a few feet. Best to just have an outlet (dedicated) installed to the fridge.
No special surge protector or special type of extension cord would be required other than the size I mentioned.
If you absolutely have to use a long extension cord I would use a 10 gauge. I also would feel the cord for heating as another caution. Some may feel this is overkill but like I said if you MUST use an extension cord these are my thoughts.