Note the wall plate the runs the length of the wall underneath the window

I need to replace the wall plate under a window that itself supports half a dozen or so load bearing studs.

I have a pair of post jacks that I plan on placing atop the horizontal stud immediately in front of it. I plan on jacking two joists that connect to the wall in question. I then plan on cutting the target stud out with an angle grinder (set with a wood blade) and replacing it.

Good idea? Bad?

  • That's a sill, not a stud. There's no such thing as a horizontal stud. – isherwood Jun 25 '18 at 19:15
  • A Sawsall would be a better tool to cut the old wood out than an angle grinder. Your plan on supporting the structure is what I have done many times in the past. are talking about the king and cripple on the left – Ed Beal Jun 25 '18 at 19:15
  • And it doesn't bear any load. – isherwood Jun 25 '18 at 19:15
  • Or maybe you meant the bottom wall plate? Maybe do some study of basic framing terminology so we can have a proper conversation. :) – isherwood Jun 25 '18 at 19:16
  • Bottom wall plate. – Lurk21 Jun 25 '18 at 19:20

I would pull the window, support the top plate with temp supports floor to plate (cut ½" long and tap the bottoms in until you see a slight lift in the top plate) cut between the siding and bad studs with a 12 " metal sawsall blade, remove all wood with any rot or deep fungus and reframe the whole thing. send the studs through a table saw to make them match the adjoining studs to avoid broken drywall when reinstalling

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.