I don't remember what brand or type of paint was used in my kitchen about 9 years ago. One wall has developed some cracks and the paint has been coming off in brittle "chips" My kitchen gets very steamy a lot. Same paint on other 3 walls no problem...I have a gallon of oil primer still good from a previous small job I intend to use.

What paint will be best for use over the oil primer and have "flexibility ( not be "brittle")?? All the walls in my house were once painted with "calcimite" I discovered oil paint no longer made does the best for coverage and long term durability

1 Answer 1


If we're talking about a "modern" oil-base like Kilz or Cover Stain, I'd say you're on the right track. Oil-based primer offers the best adhesion for your paint.

My kitchen gets very steamy a lot.

My bet is you have a flat latex paint on the walls. I would repaint with a semi-gloss enamel (can be latex). The semi-gloss will resist the moisture better than flat paint.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.