I'm trying to find a replacement for a washer / spacer that I lost, and it looks like this:

enter image description here

I know I need one that's M5 in size, and can probably measure the length of the one I've got remaining. But I have no idea what the 'correct' name for this is, so don't know what to search for. Collared spacer? Insert washer?

3 Answers 3


I might call it a flanged bushing, except that searching for that term comes up empty. In the past, I posted an answer to a question that is unrelated to this one, but for the result:

steel protector sleeve

It's called a steel protector sleeve and common sizes from my search are 1/4" inch and smaller inside diameter. M6 is close to 1/4" but is not M6. The next common size downward is 3/16" which is 4.7 mm, perhaps closer to M5. This may be a result of my searches based in the USA, or that metric versions do not exist, which is somewhat absurd to consider.

I popped off a quick search to McMaster-Carr with results appearing for flanged sleeve bearings, which are available in M5 inside diameter but are lubricated for taking rotational and axial loading.

  • You lead me in the right direction! I think I have the answer, have posted separately. A steel protector sleeve looked right, but the only available lengths were quite long, whereas I'm after something only a few mm long. It's a spacer, rather than a sleeve.
    – growse
    Commented Jun 9, 2018 at 21:51

I think I found the answer. From https://www.accu.co.uk/en/165-washers-spacers - this seems to be called a shoulder washer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.