Thanks for your time.

I’m replacing exterior brickmold and don’t want to spend good money after bad so I could benefit from others’ experience.

Here’s a picture, I’ve circled the piece in question:

rotted exterior sill

Anyone know what it’s called and what it’s profile is? I couldn’t find anything like it online, or at Menards. It’s driving me batty not knowing what they call this specific kind of sill.

The house is a 1965 colonial, so I assume this is original millwork.

Update: another angle to show how far the sill sits out in front of the vertical pieces of brickmold casing:

a side angle of the rotted sill

Just thought I’d ask this community before I do the obvious next step and tear it out to inspect and measure.


  • google window frame parts to get this pella.com/glossary/window-anatomy
    – jsotola
    Jun 2, 2018 at 20:49
  • Thanks, though before posting I’d googled my way to spells already and it doesn’t describe this specific type of sill. I’ll edit my original post to make it clearer what I’m looking at, profile-wise. My goal is to repair and replace what is appropriate/recommended.
    – Luke Smith
    Jun 2, 2018 at 21:31
  • Try threshold in your search
    – Kris
    Jun 2, 2018 at 23:08
  • @Kris it’s a window not a door
    – Luke Smith
    Jun 2, 2018 at 23:32
  • Ha my bad didn’t read close enough. Sill nose perhaps?
    – Kris
    Jun 2, 2018 at 23:34

1 Answer 1


The bottom piece of your wood window is called the sill.

I had to replace some rotted sills in my home an had a piece leftover Here are some pictures of it to show the profile. enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • That looks like a bear to replace compared to the brickmold! Thanks for posting these photos
    – Luke Smith
    Jun 2, 2018 at 23:57
  • To add to Kris's response and pictures, the rotted portion of your window is of the original window sill. The current window you have is a renovation window that has been seated into the existing frame. That style of renovation can be called a "box insert" whereas the original window was likely a casement with its sash removed and the new window inserted, leaving the og frame and wall intact.
    – AnonyTech
    Sep 28, 2018 at 21:05
  • @AnonyTech how the heck could you identify that I have a renovation window seated into an original frame?
    – Luke Smith
    Mar 11, 2019 at 0:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.