I bought a Kitchenaid KDFE104D to replace an older Kitchenaid dishwasher. I never had any issues with the older dishwasher but eventually it died. I bought this one since I had a good experience with Kitchenaid.
First couple months all was fine but then dishwasher developed a disgusting egg smell. After research I found out that this was sulphur smell coming from sewer system.
I live in Boston area and my house is built in 1940. It has a septic system. I do not have a garbage disposal and I am extremely clean.
Here is what I tried:
- Cleaned the sink, poured baking soda+ vinegar+hot water multiple times
- I checked dishwasher filter, it is clean
- I ran the dishwasher empty in very hot water with baking soda
- I added baking soda and vinegar to loads
- I tried smaller loads
- I wash in extra long and extra hot cycle
- I always rinse before i put dishes
- I rewashed multiple times to get rid of the smell
- I keep the DW door open and if it is smelling put baking soda and spray with vinegar
- I remove dishes immediately after they are washed
So far nothing worked! Sometimes dishes don't smell immediately but when I use them I can smell them.
Often times dishwasher is smelling like sewer when it is empty so I am sure it is not because of dirty dishes.
It is so so so frustrating. I have no idea what else to do. Any other ideas?
Here is the under-sink plumbing:
I added more pictures of the sink side: