I've recently viewed a property and done a first pass at the work that will need doing. But, I noticed this in the ceiling of the stairwell and I'm not entirely sure of a few things:

  • What exactly is it? (seems like telescopic pole or jack of some sort?)
  • What purpose is it?
  • What further inspections or work items should I make off the back of this?

I've noted that the paint marks are misaligned, indicating this has been altered since installation and likely has been installed for some time.

Stairwell shot

Close up shot

  • the pictures do not show enough detail .... it looks like a hot water pipe covered with insulation ... you are the only one that can actually touch the thing, so do some investigating .... don't just take a picture ... downvote for not showing any effort to answer your own question – jsotola May 24 '18 at 0:18
  • My guess was radiator pipe, what type of heat does this building have? – Tyson May 24 '18 at 1:16
  • It looks like some sort of pipe. Beyond that, I have no clue what it's carrying or why it's been exposed. – AndyT May 24 '18 at 10:43
  • Looks like a light fitting - two tubular filament bulbs, the type often used in kitchens for undershelf lighting perhaps. These are LED replacements in the same form factor. I can't find a picture of the filament version. – peterG May 24 '18 at 16:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.