I had to rip out a 4' x 6' section of ceiling and wall to make a plumbing repair on our house. The original walls were 1940s era gypsum board reinforced at changes-of-plane with metal lath.

Some sagging of the joists had caused a slight bow in the ceiling, so I couldn't repair the ceiling with a piece of drywall, because the board see-sawed. So I nailed metal lath to the joists and applied StructoLite like old-school plaster in three coats: a thick scratch coat, a brown coat, and a final veneer coat.

The wall turned out really nice with a creamy smooth finish but my overhead troweling skills aren't so good, and the ceiling has a lot of trowel marks.

So I want to trowel on a sandable skim coat compound which will adhere well to the StructoLite. What would be a good choice?

Any tips would be appreciated too. Do I want to mist the plaster beforehand or wipe it down with a damp sponge? It has been curing for about two weeks.

  • Should have used a float for the skim coat finish. Would smooth it out nicely.
    – user15806
    Oct 26, 2013 at 13:10
  • 1
    Did you ever get this resolved? If so, please give a check-mark to the answer, or write up your own answer explaining what you did to get it fixed and give yourself a check mark. That will help others with this kind of problem know that this has a resolution and is a good place to look for their answer.
    – FreeMan
    Aug 2, 2020 at 17:51

1 Answer 1


You can use a setting type of drywall compound like Durabond. You will need to apply at least two light coats to finish.

  • 2
    I would use a sheetrock topping mud it is lighter and very easy to sand. For finish work with topping mud I will use a 12-18” mud knife, it goes fast and ends up very flat.
    – Ed Beal
    Feb 17, 2020 at 19:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.