I've got a galvanized pipe in my garage that is used for a garden hose. It's fairly rusty. The end has been cut off so there are no threads left - I need a way to attach something to this pipe so I can put on an elbow and convert it to a garden hose.

A few things:

  • The pipe runs under a concrete pad so it's not possible to replace it without a major expense
  • The water doesn't need to be drinkable
  • Aside from the surface rust, the walls of the pipe are still very much intact

So, I tried using a rubber connector, which almost worked, but I can' clamp it down tight enough to make a 100% seal. I am going to try sanding the pipe next which might solve this, but I don't imagine this rubber connector would last long outside.

Any ideas? Can I re-thread this pipe? Is there some sort of sharkbite I can connect to unthreaded Galvanized? Compression fitting? enter image description here

  • 1
    I would clean up the pipe as good as I could with sandpaper, coat the pipe with RTV silicone, slide the rubber connector on as far as I could and add a second clamp close to the first clamp and tighten both with a socket wrench for more torque. let stand for a couple days before using.
    – d.george
    May 4, 2018 at 18:15
  • 1
    Answers go down there. :)
    – isherwood
    May 4, 2018 at 18:29
  • Are you willing to get a little janky with the solution? I'm not saying you should do things that aren't normally approved, but...
    – Hari
    May 4, 2018 at 20:24
  • If you're considering non-DIY solutions brazing a threaded fitting on may be a possibility. (Depending on the size of the hole/skill of the welder) Heating the zinc on galvanized pipe requires a respirator so it's hardly the kind of thing you want to tool up for yourself. It's likely cheaper than tearing up everything though. May 5, 2018 at 0:54
  • that rubber adapter will blow out use a galvenized commpression coupling to connect the new galvenized pipe to the old pipe.
    – user116961
    May 8, 2020 at 1:59

2 Answers 2


Buy a Ratcheting Pipe Threader with 1/2" steel die, or whatever size pipe that is, and thread the pipe. $35 at Harbor Freight or $80 at Northern Tool. Sand and use thread sealant as needed.


They make fittings that we call "Moody Couplings"; this may be a regional or colloquial term but probably evolved from a manufacturer's name.

enter image description here

These are designed for pressure pipe, the size designed for 1/2" galvanized pipe also fits 3/4" copper. These are not designed to be installed in locations where a leak would not be evident/fixable, and they do require a relatively smooth outside surface (but are a bit forgiving in that respect). If you do this, I recommend not covering it up, so you can monitor.

  • 1
    The hose clamp coupler that you have used, depicted in your picture, is not designed for pressure applications. May 4, 2018 at 20:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.