I purchased windows with the face flange but they are too large. If I cut the face flange off they will be perfect. What do I use to cut the 5/8" flange off each side?

  • A picture would help are they replacement windows or new construction? Vinyl or metal or wood?What brand are these windows? – Kris May 1 '18 at 14:35
  • these are AWP vinyl replacement windows – Bob May 1 '18 at 14:51

Vinyl windows for "new construction" can usually have the nail fin cut off with a knife or saw. Then you install the window using the replacement or upgrade instructions. Usually consisting of screws in the sides, insulation and shims.

  • Be careful in how you fasten the insert window into the wall frame. Ideally, you would screw into the window frames along the glazing seat (glass removed from the window) and into the wall frame (Min. 1" of the screw inside the wall framing). Apply a bead of sealant on top of the fastener head and replace the glass (and glazing stops) back into the window. I would recommend asking the window supplier/manufacturer for install steps or methods for installing your window through the frame (nailing flanges removed). – AnonyTech Sep 28 '18 at 21:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.