Long story short, I need to replace an electrical panel. In my the new panel the grounding bar is in a different location than the current panel. The ground wire from the Ufer rod will not reach to the new ground bar. Am I allowed to use a bonding terminal to "splice" a longer ground wire, or does it need to be one continuous wire?

enter image description here

  • What make and model is the new panel? Apr 28, 2018 at 18:48
  • The new panel is Siemens PW3040L1200CU Apr 28, 2018 at 19:19
  • So the ground conductor will now reach to a point inside the panel, but not all the way to the ground bar? Or does it not even reach to the panel? Apr 28, 2018 at 23:41
  • It goes into the panel, just not all the way to the ground bar Apr 29, 2018 at 3:04

2 Answers 2


There's an easier fix for this

Get a Siemens EC1GB82 ground bar kit and mount it to the bottom-most set of ground bar holes in your loadcenter cabinet, with the large lug down. Then, you can simply terminate the annoyingly short ground wire to the bottom bar's large lug and call it a day.

This works because all the ground bars on a panel are electrically equivalent -- the cabinet connects them all together, by virtue of itself needing to be grounded.

  • Unless I'm missing something, I'm not seeing any other ground bar holes in the panel. I'm editing the post to add a photo of the panel. Apr 29, 2018 at 3:21
  • @NickRomanyshyn -- that's a bit peculiar... Apr 29, 2018 at 4:05

You can also splice the wire to extend the wire as long as it is the same size and type and you a non-reversible type splice. (crimp style)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.