I am trying to dewinterize my sprinkler system the first time in a home we moved into. After turning on the water to it from the basement, the pressure vacuum assembly just outside the house was leaking:

vacuum assembly

I'm totally new to this, but I understand from some YouTube videos that there's something I need to turn to pressurize this assembly. In most videos it is a ball valve or screw, but I don't see anything like that here. There is that spinning thing nearby, but I'm not sure what it's for.

Any ideas how to dewinterize this?

Here is a closeup on the gold lip:

gold lip

There are model numbers there but they don't return anything on a Web search.


  • Is the water coming from around the gold part at the top? Or somewhere else? If it’s somewhere else then you have a broken pipe from a freeze where water wasn’t drained from the assembly last fall. If it’s from the lip of the gold part then see if you can determine make/model of the valve. The valve you’re referring to is the valve you turned on inside. – Tyson Apr 23 '18 at 0:38
  • Hi Tyson, I've added a closeup with the gold part. There are model numbers there but a Web search doesn't return anything helpful. – Ken Feyl Apr 23 '18 at 0:53
  • It’s discontinued replaced by LF288A-DM – Tyson Apr 23 '18 at 1:04
  • do you realize that pressure and vacuum are mutually exclusive terms ... that is a vacuum breaker – jsotola Apr 23 '18 at 1:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.