On a couple of my studs there is a small gauge wire that seems to go through the outside wall to the outdoors (into the flue cavity) as shown in the picture. What is its purpose?

This is on the wall above a fireplace where a TV was hanging. (Thus the tags for the question.)

enter image description here

  • When you say “outside” do you mean outside the stud cavity? Not outdoors? – Tyson Apr 21 '18 at 15:41
  • 2
    I would guess that they're stabilizing the flue? – Matthew Apr 21 '18 at 15:41
  • @Tyson Into the flue cavity (I edited the question to reflect that). – Wynne Apr 21 '18 at 15:44
  • I think this is to add some support to the brick work, I.E. keep the bricks from moving away from the framed wall. I an not sure so it is not in the answer section. – Alaska Man Apr 21 '18 at 16:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.