To make our walls perfectly flush, our shower wall needs to be floated but the tile we want to use doesn't have a bullnosed version. As such, we were looking at Schluter type edges. If my tile is 1/4" and my set also 1/4", can I just pick up a 1/2" Schluter type edge and have it envelope the tile and the set so it is flush against the wall?

  • What's a "set"? – isherwood Apr 16 '18 at 20:02
  • I thought that meant like thin set mortar. I think I’m out of my depth... – Matt Apr 16 '18 at 20:03
  • No, you're probably fine. Terms vary with region. (And I'm not a tile pro.) – isherwood Apr 16 '18 at 20:04
  • 1
    Can you please expound on what you mean when you say "walls perfectly flush"? Flush with what? I am experienced with floating walls and floors, and tile, but I need a better idea of why you need to float. Your tile will not be "flush" if you are using a Schluter edge. How bout a pic? – Jimmy Fix-it Apr 17 '18 at 0:14

Your mortar probably won't be 1/4" once you press in the tile. If you're careful it'll be not much thicker than the flange on the edge molding, so you generally purchase an edge with a depth matching your tile's thickness.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.