Yesterday I installed a new light over our dining table. At first everything seemed to work fine, but last night I turned on the light and it sparked and the light went out. I turned off the power and left trouble shooting for this morning.

Here's what I've discovered this morning -

-The breaker wasn't thrown and appears visually fine. -The black wire may have grounded against the mounting plate - it looks like there is a small cut in the wire insulation. This probably occurred when I was shoving the wires back inside.
-After wrapping the wire in electrical tape and hooking up the light again, it's still not working - no light. -When testing the wires coming from the ceiling (using multimeter), there is 120V between power and ground and 120V between power and neutral. I checked the light fixture by connecting the wires to an extension cord and it works (so the light fixture or bulbs aren't the problem). -The light switch looks fine as do all the connections. -Using an extension cord, I tried to hook-up a desk lamp the ceiling wires and also got no light. -As far as I can tell, this light/switch is the only outlet on the breaker.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?



1 Answer 1


I was able to figure it out. Apparently the dimmer switch ended up being the culprit. It must have shorted out when the wire sparked last night.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.