These unusual large screws are from a Balthaup (Germany) dining table,

enter image description here

(My child's "CSI credit card" there for scale :) )

enter image description here

The table's around 12? yrs old.

Any ideas??

3 Answers 3


You need a pin wrench (or pin spanner).

pin wrench

They come in fixed and adjustable types.

Images and links are illustrative only, not an endorsement of goods or sources.

  • I agree, in the past I have even made one drilling the 2 holes and pressing pins in a piece of bar stock.
    – Ed Beal
    Apr 1, 2018 at 0:05
  • 1
    @Fattie There are many versions and sources online.
    – bib
    Apr 1, 2018 at 0:25
  • fantastic stuff. I notice the ones that have a number of size pins, are quite expensive. I'll first try exactly the model pictured. Cheers!
    – Fattie
    Apr 1, 2018 at 1:43
  • It turns out this exact model is made for the Balthaup fittings. Excellent!
    – Fattie
    Apr 8, 2018 at 17:06

The Bolts are Spanner Bolts and the tool is generally referred to as a spanner wrench.


Spanner Wrench

  • Absolutely fantastic, thanks Ken. "spanner bolts" - "spanner wrench". I saw that very kit for sale, it's a bit expensive. I'm going to try first one of the simple fixed ones which are only a few $$. Thanks - awesome.
    – Fattie
    Apr 1, 2018 at 11:28
  • It would appear these are often used for things like pulleys.
    – Fattie
    Apr 1, 2018 at 11:34

Fantastic stuff - for the hordes of googlers also needing the spanner for this Balthaup table attachments:

indeed the "CRL pin spanner" is perfect. The pin size is exactly correct.

The pitch you can vary, but I was concerned the pin size itself may be wrong. if you have to buy a pin spanner with exchangeable pins, to cover all metric/imperial pin sizes, the only sets I found were 100+ bucks.

Fortunately this CR Laurence model which is only 10-20 bucks is perfect.

enter image description here

Great stuff.

it appears to be known as a "spanner for Top Roller" in some markets.

enter image description here

Thanks, internet

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.