I have a computer power supply (PSU), input voltage is 120-240V, I assume I can safely plug it into a 240V outlet. I have one those outlets in my garage, problem is that it is 6-20R type receptable and the PSU plug is 5-15P and does not fit. What should I do while being code-compliant? Change the 6-20R receptacle to a 5-15R and label it with 220V? Or, is there something like a 6-20R to 5-15R adapter that could be used? Please advise.

  • Make sure your computer power supply is auto switching (120/240V) if not there should be a slider switch on it for the input voltage change (no slider switch with those input voltage specs means it is auto-switching) . Most new units are auto switching - but just in case .. you should verify it.
    – Ken
    Mar 31 '18 at 7:24
  • 1
    Understood. I have 4, 2 are auto-switching, 2 are manual. Thanks Apr 1 '18 at 13:47
  • Hey! On the same topic. It is easy to find surge protectors strips for connecting multiple appliances on 120V. I have struggled to find the same for 240V. Am I losing surge protection if I connect directly to the 240V without one? Are 240V surge protectors available, where? Apr 1 '18 at 13:49

Assuming that your computer power supply accepts its power through a C13 socket, you could use a pigtail to make the connection.

Example: 6-20P to C13 Power Cords

Cables like this are commonly used in data centers to get 240V tolerant equipment attached to the rack PDU.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.