I an adding a large opening between my kitchen and living room just above countertop level, but realized the sink vent is there.

I want to move it ~30" away. See photos. My plan would be to use two street 1/16 elbows to get the 2" ABS into the wall, then run it through the wall vertically.

Is this allowed? Anything I'm missing?



  • 1
    It is not clear to me that it would be a good idea to move the location of where the vent connects to the 2" horizontal drain to a location downstream of the sink. (The vent MIGHT need to be at or UPSTREAM of the sink.) Maybe it would be better to cut off the existing vent 2 ft or 2.5 ft above the floor and go laterally in the wall to outside the opening and then go vertically. (And instead of making a new penetration in the large beam, go back to the original vent routing through the beam? The top of the opening would be a little lower to accommodate the upper horizontal run of vent.) – Jim Stewart Mar 27 '18 at 16:57
  • Does anything above the sink drain into that stack? – Kris Mar 27 '18 at 22:16

If that vent is only venting the lav, you can use an AAV Air Admittance Valve

Its approved by IPC, and many jurisdictions these days.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.