I've just bought a house that has older wooden-framed windows. The windows themselves appear to be fine, but the screens for these windows are simple aluminum frames that use the small spring-loaded pegs that fit into holes in the window frame to hold them in. As a result, the screen doesn't have anything close to a flush fit around the edges, so insects are able to crawl in.

I've noticed in some newer houses with vinyl windows that some of the screens sit in a track of sorts so that they can be raised and lowered, and as a result there's no place for insects to get around the edges. Is there any way to get a better-fitting screen for my existing wooden windows? Perhaps a screen uni

  • How big is the gap? Would you be able to install some sort of weather stripping between the window frame and the screen?
    – RSMoser
    Commented Apr 17, 2012 at 17:17
  • That's a possibility. I've considered a couple of different options, not excluding the possibility of just duct taping the sucker to the window frame ;) I was more interested in seeing if these in-track screens were something that could be added after the fact. Commented Apr 17, 2012 at 17:25

1 Answer 1


What you are looking for is called a Combination Storm/Screen Window, and most hardware stores can order exactly what you want or you can pick through the selection at The Home Depot: Window Screens is a wide variety of combination storm window/screens to pick from.

  • Interesting...I'll have to take a look at this when I'm at the store this weekend. Thanks! Commented May 7, 2012 at 13:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.