It's on a residential water supply line immediately downstream of water meter and main shutoff valve. I would guess pressure reducing valve, but it seems to small to be one, at least compared to the photos of pressure reducing valves I see online.

enter image description here


That's what we call a Ball Valve with Bleeder.

It's for when you shut off the water you can drain what is on the bleeder side of the valve.

Only problem with this one is it's missing the handle.

  • I agree a ball valve with a bless or pressure port. – Ed Beal Mar 23 '18 at 14:14
  • OK, makes sense, thanks. I was secretly hoping that it actually was a pressure reducer since our water pressure is fairly high, and I imagine it's pretty expensive to install one. – Jason Rubinstein Mar 23 '18 at 14:27
  • @JasonRubinstein, doesn't sound that expensive, especially since your pipe is so easy to get to. Would be a pretty straightforward job and the valve itself would be in the $60 range (retail). – JPhi1618 Mar 23 '18 at 18:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.