One of our ceiling fan bulbs recently went out, and I can't for the life of me find a replacement for it.

By my best approximations, size is 3.65" H x 1.3" W, and 11-12mm at the base. The engraving says, "GE 120V 29W CHINA G50". The G50 part really throws me off.

enter image description here enter image description here

This is the closest I can find, but I'm not certain it's correct.

  • That’s a halogen lamp, and a bit odd, but see the amazon link above.
    – Tyson
    Commented Mar 22, 2018 at 0:00
  • Looks like exactly what I need. Thanks @Tyson!
    – Jake Reece
    Commented Mar 22, 2018 at 2:03
  • Looks like could be a night light base as well. If neither place you went could figure it out, then either it is an uncommon size, or they are not to "bright"!
    – Jeff Cates
    Commented Mar 22, 2018 at 17:30
  • 1
    You could make it easier and just buy a pack of LED replacement bulbs and change them all at once or just have them for when the next one goes and replace them one by one.
    – Jeff Cates
    Commented Mar 23, 2018 at 17:03

2 Answers 2


That looks like a torpedo bulb with a candelabra base (the base indicates globe style, it's mislabeled). If the voltage is at least accurate, that 29w should be a 40W incandescent equivalent, which is how many manufacturers often indicate wattage on packaging. They also make LED versions of virtually every bulb nowadays if you wanted to get an even more energy efficient version, a decent sized hardware store might carry them.

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. You've really jumped in here, and with good answers, too. While you're at it, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to contribute here. Commented Sep 23, 2019 at 10:25

G50 stands for 'globe' with diameter of 50mm (or 50/8 in if you're in US) -> it should be the code for the shape (but in this case it's wrong) -> in China they have used same 'screws' for different kinds of bulbs ignoring this specific part of code. They should have used 'C' instead.

Measure the maximum diameter (instead of length), convert it to inch 1/8th and your bulb will be C diameter of bulb expressed in 1/8 (ex: C8 if the diameter is 1in)

Or: Just go to local hardware store and ask to the clerk with the sample.

  • Thanks for the info. Lowe's and Batteries Plus Bulbs had never seen this kind before.
    – Jake Reece
    Commented Mar 22, 2018 at 2:03
  • Check also socket size, it doesn't lok like standard E14. Measure the diameter (in mm). I think in US you have thinner socket than here in EU. E11, E12 and E26 versus our E14 and E27. So 'write the full bulb code' than ask for it. Your may be a 'mini candelabra (E11) or a candelabra (E12) size. Just buy one-per-kind and see what fits
    – DDS
    Commented Mar 22, 2018 at 10:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.