My basement has built-in cabinets and posts that are stained a dark brown and I want to lighten them - ideally something closer to white oak. I researched online and found that a chlorine bleach is used to remove/lighten stains. Many of the instructions recommend applying the bleach in a well-ventilated space, but I can only remove the cabinet doors and possibly the shelves from the basement - the rest would have to be bleached in place.
What can I do to increase ventilation in the basement and to protect myself from the fumes? Or is chlorine bleach in such a situation a bad idea?