I want to build an air hockey table - pretty much a box about 2m by 1m, with 1mm holes cut into the top surface.

I read somewhere that slightly bigger tables use fans which can move 350-400CFM. I did some reading into this and types of fans and am not getting anywhere really.

Is a fan or a blower better for such an application? It would push air into the box which would increase pressure and push out through the holes. Ideally also on the quiet side.

Thanks for any input in advance!

closed as off-topic by isherwood, ThreePhaseEel, Daniel Griscom, Machavity, Niall C. Dec 19 '18 at 19:15

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking product or service recommendations are off-topic because they tend to become obsolete quickly. Instead, describe your situation and the specific problem you're trying to solve." – isherwood, ThreePhaseEel, Daniel Griscom, Machavity, Niall C.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • you want a squirrel cage blower to produce enough pressure to keep all the holes evenly pressurized. propeller types can move a lot of air, but typically have much lower pressure. – dandavis Mar 12 '18 at 23:24
  • Ideally, you can determine the pressure requirement to get the puck to float, then determine the the flow through the all the holes in order to get the flow requirement. You'd size your fan appropriately. You likely don't need terribly high pressures to get a puck to float. – Hari Ganti May 31 '18 at 20:36

There are several ways to go about this. Some times one of the problems when people build their own table is that the air leaves the table at the closest to the fan.

Here is a link to an actual table fan.


I am not sure about where I saw this but using a few Personal Computer Fans (all same model ) in a collection all tied together can allow for a more even spread of air across the surface depending on how your build is. I suggest this also because they are quieter .


  • 1
    I think a sheet like beaver board (fine grain board that passes air quite well, we used these sheets on radial arm router beds with vacuum motors similar to those used in home central vacuum cleaners Installed backwards an additional sheet of lamanite countertop may provide the pressure needed material with holes spaced closely enough to float the puck should do it, not sure of the size of the hole through the laminant but the spacing on a commercial table will provide a good starting point. Quite a few years back I helped repair the tube system for a bank and this is what we used it worked. – Ed Beal Jul 4 '18 at 23:11

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.