I have 18mm birch ply fronts for my kitchen and I'm trying to identify the correct router bit to use for making recessed drawer pulls. The ones I've been able to find all seem to be for much thicker wood.

This picture is from a company that use 18mm plywood for their drawers. It feels a little cheeky to ask them what bit they use though. Can anyone help me track down the correct bit?

enter image description here

  • 1
    I can't tell what I'm looking at here. Can you post several photos so we can get our bearings?
    – Evil Elf
    Mar 2, 2018 at 13:41
  • OP didn't take this photo. It's in product literature. If you look at the lower right end you can see the bit profile fairly plainly.
    – isherwood
    Mar 2, 2018 at 14:30
  • 2
    Chances are good it's proprietary. Manufacturers often create and maintain their own tooling. It may also be a combination cut.
    – isherwood
    Mar 2, 2018 at 14:34
  • When you say combination cut, do you mean cutting out the front rectangle with a straight bit and then using a cove cutter like this? trenddirectuk.com/46-270x1-2tc
    – beirtipol
    Mar 2, 2018 at 14:43
  • Well, the opposite of that. :) That bit matches the remaining wood profile, so you need the inverse. There's also a tight radius curve in the center of the panel's thickness. I'm not a cabinet maker, so I can't offer better insight.
    – isherwood
    Mar 2, 2018 at 14:54

3 Answers 3


That big looks close to the thing you are looking for:

(from Wallmart)

If you google for "drawer pull cutter" there are many more options.


I may be wrong but it looks like a cove bit.

enter image description here

  • That's part of it, but the curve seems to go beyond 90 degrees, and there's a roundover component as well.
    – isherwood
    Apr 2, 2018 at 20:18

The only one I have seen is UK only from Wealden Tool. https://www.wealdentool.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=scribe%20ovolo&PN=Ovolo-Scribe.html#aT1588B_2d8

enter image description here

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.