I have a lot of detailed interior trim to paint with latex enamel paint. It’s a pain to paint with brushes or small rollers and it seems like it would be so much easier to use a very small airless paint sprayer, like a small airbrush sort of thing. I can’t seem to find something that small though that could be used for this application. Is there such a tool?

  • Spray Can ... ?
    – brhans
    Mar 1, 2018 at 13:31
  • Spray cans work pretty well but they make the whole house smell like fumes, and also it's harder to get the exact color I'm using. Mar 1, 2018 at 14:01
  • Seems to me that the amount of time to tape and mask off everything to protect it from over spray would be much longer than just using a cutting brush and roller.
    – Alaska Man
    Mar 1, 2018 at 22:41

1 Answer 1


You can switch out the tip on an airless to do smaller areas. The first digit is one half the fan size so a 211 has a .011" opening and sprays a 4" fan, that should be acceptable if a spray can works. It does presuppose you rented an airless sprayer. You may also need to change the filter and use a small amount of flow additive. Ask the rental place for advice and what the smallest tip they have is.

If you own an airbrush there's a chance you may be able to run a detail HVLP gun off your existing compressor. They require quite a bit less air than full sized guns do, and you might be able to squeak by with a pancake compressor if you're not spraying continuously.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.