So I have 3 damaged wires that I need to add new terminals to. The picture below is of the same type of terminal. What type of terminal is it, and how can I add the same kind of terminal to a stripped wire?

enter image description here enter image description here

I need to add terminals to these wires (I need to splice the two black wires with one terminal):

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


It is called a spade connector, or spade lug terminal. You are holding a female connector.

You can purchase these at an electronics supply shop. As you might expect, they are available in a bewildering variety of styles and sizes. You might want to bring one of your connectors for identification.

Some are designed to be soldered onto the end of a wire, and others are made to crimp on using a bespoke tool. Either way, I think you'll find that heat-shrink tubing makes an excellent protective insulation.

  • Well, there's 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16, I wouldn't say a bewildering variety. Feb 22, 2018 at 6:22
  • 7
    And single-grip, double-grip, with and without locking detent, bare or jacketed. Spades are solid or preforated. Crimp join may be a soft seamless tube or a split tube. Solder join may be a channel, a tube, or a solder lug with a hole, with or without a couple of sharp-edged and frustrating tabs to be bent around the insulated portion of the wire to hold it steady until the plastic melts I should stop now. Feb 22, 2018 at 6:38
  • I would also add the variety of wire sizes to complete the list.
    – mikes
    Feb 22, 2018 at 9:28
  • This looks more like a rather weird kind of quick connect than a spade lug... Feb 22, 2018 at 12:43
  • And high temp spade terminals used in ovens to add to the assortment. Many wire cutters have crimps built in. For insulated crimps use the smooth or somewhat oval shaped crimp, for noninsulated use the crimp that has a pin to crimp, the crimp with the pin will damage the insulating sleeve so it should not be used on insulated crimp conductors according to the listing instructions. – Ed Beal 5 mins ago delete
    – Ed Beal
    Feb 22, 2018 at 15:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.