I just noticed this thingy on the wall of my apartment. Weird I haven't paid any attention to it since I bought this place. I could swear I just heard a low-pitched sound coming out of it. Is it a speaker? If so, where could the sound have come from?

enter image description here

  • 3
    Are you in a large apartment building that might have modern fire alarms? Larger buildings should have some way of alarming from a central alarm (as opposed to the little standalone models), and it's possible that is part of that system.
    – Joe
    Feb 16, 2018 at 20:27
  • 2
    i hate hearing the listeners too; ruins the illusion of privacy. just kidding. it could be alarm, doorbell, or just covering up a cheap contractor's "oops" in the drywall.
    – dandavis
    Feb 16, 2018 at 20:29
  • @Joe Yup, I am in a tower with 30+ stories. A central alarm makes sense. That must be it.
    – Eddie Kal
    Feb 16, 2018 at 20:34

1 Answer 1


If you're in a large apartment building, it may be a fire alarm or a speaker for the doorbell system (functional or no longer functional if they've switched to a cell phone based system). Those are very common in larger buildings that are required to have a central alarm instead of only unit-by-unit alarms.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.